The Swedish Association for Home Education was formally founded May 25, 2008.
The first annual meeting was held at the Home Educators Conference, on Sunday July 31, 2008.
Rohus is politically and religiously un-affiliated.
The purpose of the Association is to work toward that:
- the UN Declaration of Human Rights, regarding the parents' right to choose education for their children, is upheld by authorities and government in Sweden.
- the Protocol to the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, Article 2, is upheld by authorities and government in Sweden, as it was incorporated as law 1995, and the reservation against it was removed.
- it becomes evident in the text of the law and practice, that "education otherwise" includes that the child be educated at home by its parents.
- the "education otherwise" (School law 1985:1100, chapter 10, 4§) shall remain in the new school law, and that this should be interpreted that home education should normally be accepted as a satisfactory alternative, if no strong reasons speak against it.
- the Swedish Association for Home Education becomes and remains a permanent body to which proposed measures regarding educational issues is referred, for consideration.
The Associaton accepts applications for membership from all who support these 6 articles of purpose.
- knowledge and education be given to those making legislation regarding childrens' education, and at teacher educational institutions, in order that they be informed about the above points 1-4, and about the home educational experience of Sweden and other countries.